A tale of a Scotsman living in SW london...

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Travelodge hell

"Travelodge - Everything you need, nothing you don't"

How apt. That doesn't seem to include customer service.

So I'd booked a room with them for two nights this week, as at the time that was all I needed. Turns out I now only need one night. No problem, as I've got a flexible rate I can change it up until 12 on the day. You try it...

Turns out, the way it does this is by making you a new booking, then cancelling the existing one. This works great unless the hotel is full, which it was. So the only way I could do it was to cancel my room and make another booking, with no guarantee I'd get a room. This was only explained after 25 minutes of hold music as the automated system couldn't do it either. Great customer service - you cannot break the phone system to talk to someone either. The phone system has to realise it can't help you either.

So I cancelled it, went to the Hilton up the road. Two minutes, talked to a really person, and I'll bet I get a room upgrade as I've got Silver VIP membership on their reward cards. And it's only £20 more expensive a night, which includes breakfast, so in all it's only about £10 more expensive as at the Travelodge it's extra.

In the days now where everybody wants cheap and easy, there are times when it goes too far. I'm sure Travelodge save a fortune in labour costs this way, but it doesn't exactly endear you to the brand does it? And when brand is all powerful, is that really something they can ignore?

No comments: