A tale of a Scotsman living in SW london...

Friday, March 16, 2007

Calendar Entries

OK, for a while now I've tried to work out how to get my Lotus Notes calendar onto my mobile phone (a Sony W810i). I've even thought about buying a new PDA just to do this. I use the calendar as my main one for both work and socially, so having it on my phone would be great, but it never works as I use Notes and nobody ever supports that for the syncronisation.

Yesterday however, I had a euraka moment.

Having hunted about on Sonys web site, there is an application called Sync Station which syncronises "stuff" to your phone. It's aim is mainly Outlook (of course, as everyone uses it). However, in the very small print it says it supports Notes 6. Hmm thinks me, wonder if it would actually work with Notes 7? So I downloaded it and installed it and tried it out.

Nada. Doesn't list the Notes client as an option to sync with. So, thinks me, where is it getting the info from that says which version of Notes I use? A quick google throws up a possible solution. So I copy the Notes 7 reg key and create a new one called (wait for it) Notes 6. I then re-open the Sync Station client.

It now lists Notes as a valid source of calendar!! So I configure it (love this software for this) and it allows you to chose a date range for syncronising - I only really need the next 14 days on there, so it does this and will clean up old entries as well. I hit sync.

It works an absolute treat. My phone is paired to my laptop via bluetooth, and my calendar is now on the phone. I'm a very happy man.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Thank you so much for this tip. I was thinking of returning my w810i if I did not get the sync with lotus notes working. This saved me a lot of trouble. For those who might read this and not know how to copy a reg key here is a very brief how to. Go to Start->Run, enter "regedit". Locate the key by navigating to hkey_local_machine->software->lotus-> notes. You'll see the notes version you have. Create a new key for version the Sync Manager accepts 5.0, 6.0, or 6.5. Go to the Edit menu->New->Key for this. Then add each element for the new key (DataPath, Description, etc.) using the Edit->New menu. so it looks like your 7.0 key. Cheers.