A tale of a Scotsman living in SW london...

Saturday, February 24, 2007

6 nations

A special day for the 6 nations today - Ireland play England at Croke Park. Historic day as it was here the "first" bloody Sunday took place many years ago (1920 to be exact) where British forces shot and killed players and fans watching a Gaelic Football match. Since then, the Gaelic association always said they would never have "English" sports played at Croke Park. Well, money talks and they are (due to Landsdown Road getting done up).

I only hope that the 6 nations fans behave and that the people who could cause trouble are far away. 6 Nations rugby is great as all fans mix in together and you never get trouble. There is such a nice atmosphere of people coming together for the love of the sport. Even if you don't particularly like rugby, a 6 nations game is special.

I used to go all the time to Murrayfield when I lived in Edinburgh as I lived very close. I miss it, and Edinburgh for that matter. I would go with my Dad to all the games and it was "something we did". Loved it for the rugby, and the time spent with him. And yet, now I live miles away purely for work reasons and it's just not economical to go. Real shame.

No comments: